Sunday, July 13, 2008

A Gray Area.




I have noticed a trend in home decor lately that I want to comment on. That is, the subject of gray walls. I first noticed it in a spotlight in Elle Decor last year on Molly Sim's apartment home in Manhattan. She had beautiful gray walls and furniture that played off the cool, sophisticated color, giving her home a kind of understated glamour. In my favorite movie this year, 27 Dresses, the protagonist, Jane ( played by Katherine Heigl) had gray walls in her Manhattan apartment. While the rest of the furniture in her " home" was a bit too modern to jive with my taste, the wall color resonated with me. Since I have already discussed my desire for white bedding, I think gray walls would be the perfect contrast. The tricky thing however, will be to find a gray wall color that will play along with the kinds of light I get in my room which would encompass natural light, artificial light and candlelight. I think a shade of lighter gray would work best with all lights. I also like the idea of a room with gray and white think stripes that are painted, which is an idea I found from an article in Domino Magazine a few years ago about a woman who had transformed a separate bedroom into her dressing room. The stripes made the room look so luxe and inviting and I think I would truly enjoy time in my bedroom in that type of environment. I think both a solid gray wall and a striped design would be aesthetically pleasing and provide a sense of sophistication, peace,and understated glamour.
More Later,
Mackenzie Page
Home is the nicest word there is. Laura I. Wilder
taken from Brainyquote.com
Picture of Katherine Heigl taken from www.worstpreviews.com
Picture of Vanity taken from Galleries at www.dominomag.com

No comments: