Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Mixing High and Low



A couple of years ago I read a style page about Kate Middleton. They were discussing her pairing of a $19 necklace from H&M I think, with a couture gown that must have cost thousands.

I'm a huge advocate of mixing high and low, both in clothing and interiors.
And hey, if Princess Kate----the goddess of all things good and perfect in this world--can do it, why can't we?

First, a little high low action that's equally appropriate for a day at the office as it is for a dinner out with your husband or girlfriends.


I bought this skirt a couple weeks ago at Old Navy. It's currently on sale for $24. It fits well, and looks way more expensive than it actually is.


I paired it with a navy silk Vince blouse from last year's collection, but I'm loving this one from this year's. Love that it has the red woven through it.


Would love mixing it with these Jessica Simpson Leopard pumps for under $100.

And I'm kind of super in love with this fringe tote from Tory Burch.
Which has the steep price tag of $595.

Paired with these fun earrings from Bauble Bar to the tune of $32.

Now, an outfit for a cocktail event.

I ran across this dress from Target's Altuzurra line the other day and totally fell in love with it.
And it's $39. Why am I not at Target buying it right now?



Here it is on Naomi Watts, but this is probably a poor example, as she looks totally fabulous in everything.

I have a few fall/winter events coming up that it would be great for and I already had one of these pairs of shoes in mind for it.


These Manolos were my wedding shoes. If you're in the market for wedding shoes (or shoes for an important event) I strongly encourage you to do something leather in a metallic color. Here's why. They will always be special and remind you of that day AND you can wear them over and over again.

Or I could go with these Jimmy Choo pumps from a couple of years ago.


By the way, in the spirit of full disclosure and our high-low discussion, I got both of these pairs of shoes for about $200. Both on sale at Saks Fifth Avenue on different days. 
I'm going to drop some knowledge on you now. If you live anywhere near a Saks, make a habit of attending their day after Christmas sale. It starts at like 6 am and it's a beating to get up that early to fight out crazy shoppers, but it is SO worth it. I recommend you visit the shoe dept first---those go the fastest. See you on December 26th in Houston.


I'd love to mix in these Oscar de la Renta tassel earrings in the Almond color.

Along with this fun, go with everything $59 clutch from Zara.



Most of you have probably been practicing the art of high-low dressing for years---but what I think a lot of people struggle with is the art of high-low decorating.

How about a formal living room scenario?


This Society Social Sofa. I'm actually thinking of this as one of my "budget items" It's around $1400-$1500, depending on the grade of fabric you choose (or you can send in your own!) and really that's very reasonable for a sofa. It's not where you want to skimp in a room, I'll tell you that much.



Let's add this set----A coffee table and a side table. I would probably put the side table in between two chairs. $249 for BOTH on the buy it now price on eBay. Magic.


Let's add two of Ikea's Mellby chairs. $249 each, plus a cover for an additional $49. I love the unexpected element of this chartreuse color.

And this gorgeous Madeline Weibrib rug.

And two of these Arianna Belle pillows for the sofa?




Along with a couple of pillows in my all time favorite Schuamcher Silk Fret in Chartreuse to pull in the green of the chairs.


Love a floor lamp like this one from West Elm for $199.


Love this modern oil on canvas from artist Richard Anuszkiewics, called Chartreuse Square, 1979 available through the Loretta Howard Gallery via 1st Dibs. I would hang it above the sofa.



I'd add this brass lamp from Circa Who in between the chairs.


Along with this droplet glass pendant from West Elm. A fun, reasonable chandelier at $399.


A fun room with loads of style. The art and the rug are MEGA expensive, but that can be offset by watching your pennies elsewhere.

What's your favorite way to create a high-low mix?



No comments: