Monday, February 1, 2016

A Round Up of Baby Friendly Decor


image via here

On Saturday, Brian and I went to a 1st birthday party for a good friend's son. It was a really fun event and more than anything it made me realize how much our lives have changed in a short period of time and more importantly, how many people we know that now have children.

I swear that five minutes ago we were on the "wedding circuit" attending nuptial after nuptial. Now it seems that we've skipped onto the baby stage and every five minutes one of our friends announces the impending arrival of new baby.

Most of my clients are around my age, and thus a lot of them either already have children, or are planning on it very soon. I thought it would be fun to do a round up of "baby and child friendly" decor. I love that most of this is easily added throughout your whole house, not just the nursery.

My main recommendation to someone who has children is faux leather or vinyl. Before you cringe and decide that I must have arrived from the 80's in my design Delorean---hear me out.

Faux leather has come a loooong way. It comes in a variety of color and textures and even feels like leather---the only things that are missing are the smell and the maintenance. The great thing about faux leather is that it's easily wipe able and very stain resistant. It's best on furniture with a tight seat and back---It's fabulous for dining chairs, banquettes (like in the room above by Massucco Warner Miller), on headboards, and benches.

These are two of my favorites from Kravet and Duralee.


Genslar from Kravet


Textured Vinyl in Parchment from Duralee

I love the texture in this one from Duralee---So fun on dining chairs!

I know most coffee tables become parent's worst nightmare because of the sharp edges and a lot of people are now ditching them in favor of upholstered ottomans in front of their sofa. However, maybe you still want a hard surface---albiet one that's a little less anxiety inducing.

I love this option from Anthropologie. The graphic pattern gives it a wow factor and it's a bonus that  it would meld with a variety of styles. 


Bunny Williams now has a collection for Ballard Designs and I adore these melamine dishware. Perfect for al fresco dining, or just shatter free dining with kids. I love how the colors are a bit more traditional---it looks like real china!




My friends with kids tell me that storage is key, and I adore this storage ottoman from Ballard Designs. They are now offering the leopard fabric I have on my sofa---which I can say from experience hides dirt very very well. I love how Ballard's website will let you preview the piece in the fabric. 



If you have a nursery, chances are you have a swivel glider of some kind, but who says they're for a baby's room only? I love this sleek version from Serena & Lily that comes in a variety on non-juvenile fabrics. I would add two to the family room. They can be used for the baby and/or for your own comfort.


Rugs are expensive and can be hard to clean. Obviously that's not an ideal situation with kids. I got this indoor/outdoor rug a couple years ago on RugsUsa.com and they still carry it. The great thing is, you can literally take it outside and hose it down. Perfect for kids or dogs. I love how it looks like a sisal and doesn't scream outdoor rug. Fun and Functional. It's also 70% off on their site right now!




I couldn't leave this Nursery Works crib out of my line up---especially with those fab brass legs.


While we're on the subject of Nursery Works---can we talk about their fabulous styling and photography?

Here's another one of their cribs---Can I please be this baby? Look at that VIEW!


Last year I wallpapered a client of mine's master bedroom ceiling and they were pleasantly surprised about how much their baby was mesmerized by it. Why stop at just the nursery---stimulate your baby's senses all over the house with one of these fabulous wallpapers.


I like palms anytime, and this Lyford Key pattern is fabulous against a soft pink background.



Love this colorful wallpaper from Schumacher. It would be a show stopper on a living room ceiling.



This chinois pattern in black and white is monochromatic, but still dramatically patterned enough to be interesting.


Before I sign off, can I just say that I came across this stroller during my "research" for this post and I am DYING over it. Yes, that is rose gold. Be still my heart.





What's your favorite baby friendly decor item?

No comments: